Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Posole....hoo wee, it's a scorcher!




I tried a new recipe that came with raves from my daughter and son-in-law, had all the ingredients on hand, was a quick recipe, and it was time to kick out dinner.


Assembled all the ingredients, chopped, measured, sauted, simmered.....


Oh MY!!!  This is REALLY hot, and I know my daughter likes spicy food, but when her dad says we need to cut it with something, I knew I had something off in the recipe.

So I cooked some white rice, sliced some avocados, lime and had some corn chips.  It was late so I was unable to call my daughter and decided it had great flavor, just so much heat that it made it difficult to eat.


Shared it with our son and a friend that can take the heat with a warning and in the meantime, emailed my daughter and asked what I did wrong.  She called back laughing hysterically!!!  I was supposed to use 1 canned chipolte chile in adobo sauce chopped, NOT 1 CAN of chipolte chile in adobo sauce!!!  LOL, we were all rolling on the floor!!!  Honest mistake and made for a good laugh.

So, I do recommend the recipe, it is really flavorful, but definitely only use ONE pepper from the can, like Ang said, that would "burn a hole in your stomach" !

I used frozen "just chicken" from Trader Joe's and it was a good substitution, I know Ang used a roasted chicken from the store.

The recipe is below.


This Mexican stew is topped with shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)

Ingredients

  • 1  tablespoon  olive oil
  • 1  canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
  • 3/4  cup  finely chopped onion
  • 3/4  cup  finely chopped celery
  • 3/4  cup  finely chopped carrot
  • 2  tablespoons  minced garlic
  • 2  teaspoons  chili powder
  • 2  cups  leftover cooked turkey, shredded (light and dark meat)
  • 3  cups  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2  cup  tomato puree
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1  (15.5-ounce) can white hominy, drained

Preparation

Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Finely chop chile. Add chile and next 5 ingredients (chile through chili powder), and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer.
Cover and cook 45 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally.

1 comment:

anglouise said...

lol, the story of the killer posole! actually maybe the "modified" recipe could be entered into a chili contest! I hope you try the recipe again soon, this time with only the 1 pepper :)